Braised Meatballs with San Marzano Tomatoes by Chef Ross Pangilinan of Terrace by Mix Mix are the perfect appetizer.
Braised Meatballs with San Marzano Tomatoes
1 #10 can of San Marzano tomatoes from Viele and Sons – blended
2 C olive oil
2 T chili flakes
12 Garlic cloves – smashed
12 Basil leaves
1.5 lb ground beef
1.5 lb ground pork
2 C Bread crumbs
2 oz Garlic – chopped
1 T Fresh thyme – chopped
1 T Fresh parsley – chopped
1 T Salt
1 T Pepper
- Simmer blended tomatoes over med heat for 30 min, season with salt.
- In a separate pan, combine olive oil, chili, garlic and basil in small sauce pot and heat over low-med heat for 20 minutes (careful not to heat to much, just enough to extract the flavors into the oil).
- Strain the oil into the stewed tomatoes and whisk together.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Place in fridge for 20 min. Using a 1 or 2 oz ice cream scoop, roll out meat balls on a non-stick or paper lined baking sheet. Place in oven till meatballs get browned about 10 minutes. Place cooked meatballs in a braising dish and cover with tomato sauce. Bake for 45 minutes. Served with grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil.