Bison with Roasted Vegetables en Cocotte and Shallot-Red Wine Sauce
Bison with Roasted Vegetables en Cocotte and Shallot-Red Wine Sauce.
1/4 C Red wine – full-bodied, such as a merlot
2 C Brown veal stock
5 oz Olive oil
5 T Butter
8 Red pearl onion
2 Carrot – small, cut into 3 pieces
2 Salsify – peeled and cut into 3 pieces
6 oz Black trumpet mushroom – washed well
Salt – to taste
Black pepper – freshly ground, to taste
4 Shallot – minced
5 Parsnip – peeled, finely chopped
1/2 C Milk
4 5-oz Bison steak – tempered
2 Garlic clove – peeled and split
3 Thyme sprig
2 T Red wine vinegar
3 Parsley sprig – leaves only
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepot, bring the red wine and veal stock to a boil and reduce by 3/4.
- In a medium sauté pan set over medium heat, warm a few tablespoons of the olive oil and add 1 T of the butter.
- Add the red pearl onion, carrot, salsify, and mushrooms. Season with salt and cook on the stovetop, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven and continue roasting for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Keep warm on the side.
- Meanwhile, set a saucepot over medium heat and warm a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add 1/4 of the minced shallots and cook until translucent.
- Add the chopped parsnip and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk, season with salt, bring to a simmer and continue cooking another 10 minutes, or until the parsnip pieces are soft.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer the puree back to the saucepot and keep warm on the side.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat, warm 3 T of olive oil.
- Season the bison steaks on all sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sear for 2 minutes on each side, then add 1 T of the butter, garlic, and thyme. Spoon the foamy butter over the steaks for 1 minute each side, and then remove them from pan to a resting rack.
- In the pan, sauté the remaining shallots until translucent, and add the reduced red wine and veal stock, along with the red wine vinegar, bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Whisk in the remaining butter, remove the spring of thyme and garlic, and season to taste.
- Dress the plates with a swipe of parsnip puree, the roasted vegetables and the bison steaks.
- Generously spoon the sauce over the steaks and garnish with the parsley leaves.