Beef & Bean Chili
Simple and comforting beef and beans slow simmered in diced tomatoes, chili powder, and other spices. Grab a bowl and add some chips and guacamole.
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
1 onions (diced)
1 red pepper (large, diced)
2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
56 ounces diced tomatoes (with juices)
30 ounces kidney beans (with juices)
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese (grated – optional as garnish)
1 cup sour cream (– optional as garnish)
- 1. Bring a large “heavy bottomed” pot to medium high heat and enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add beef and onions. Cook uncovered ~ 7 minutes, stirring, or until meat is nearly done. Add the garlic and peppers and cook ~ 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese and sour cream.
- 2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered ~ 30 minutes. Add more chili powder and salt to taste and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- 3. Serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream. Happy Eating!
- Add water at 1/2 cup increments if the chili begins to dry out.
- If you think the chili is too “soupy”, remember that it will thicken as it cools.