1&1 Burger with Hickory BBQ Sauce
No other food says Labor Day like a juicy and delicious burger. Chef Brian Landry shares his wildly popular burger recipe, with cheddar cheese curd, homemade hickory sauce, and onions. Perfect burgers guaranteed every time.
Bayou Bar Burger
4 Brioche bun
2 lb Premium ground beef (made into 8 oz each)
8 oz Cheddar Cheese Curd
1/2 C Mayonnaise (Blue Plate recommended)
8 oz Hickory sauce (recipe below)
1 Vidalia onion – thinly sliced
4 T Steen’s Cane Vinegar or equivalent
1 Butter lettuce head – washed, shredded
1 Creole tomato – sliced for sandwiches
1 C Sweet & spicy dill pickle (Mount Olive brand recommended)
4 oz Butter – unsalted, cubed
Salt – to taste
Black pepper – to taste, ground
Yields: 2 cups
1 Yellow onion – peeled, julienne
4 T Canola oil
1 1/2 C Ketchup
3/4 C Apple cider vinegar
1/2 C Brown Sugar – unpacked
1 T Black Pepper – ground
1/4 C Worcestershire
1/2 T Chili flake
Salt – to taste
- Bayou Bar Burger
- Using a cast iron griddle, melt four cubes, which is about 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Season the prepared patties with salt and pepper, and place into hot butter.
- Sear the patties until a golden-brown crust forms for about 2 minutes.
- Flip, and cook to desired doneness.
- In a separate non-stick pan, use the remaining butter to toast the slider buns until golden brown.
- As the burgers finish cooking, place 2 tablespoons of hickory sauce on each burger and top with cheese curd.
- As the cheese starts to soften, toss thinly sliced onion with a pinch of salt and cane vinegar and allow to marinate.
- Coat the insides of the top and bottom bun with
- To really melt the cheese place the burgers with sauce and cheese on top under the broiler in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Assemble the burger starting from the bottom with bun, patty, sliced onion, sliced pickles, tomato slice, shredded lettuce, and top bun.
- Hold together with a toothpick.
- Hickory Sauce
- Use the oil to caramelize onions in a sauce pan.
- Once onions are caramelized, combine all other ingredients in saucepan and cook until combined.
- In blender, starting on low speed and gradually increasing, puree all ingredients until smooth.