More than 30 acres of free fun awaits at Growing the Park, the Great Park’s anniversary event. The day-long community festival kicks off with live music, finishes with a fireworks show, and is filled with non-stop fun for all ages in between, featuring air show style aerial performances, a petting zoo, military vehicle displays, cooking demonstrations and arts activities.
The event also marks the debut of two new Park developments – The Palm Court Arts Complex and the North Lawn sports field.The North Lawn and Palm Court Arts Complex are both part of the nearly $70 million Western Sector Park Development Plan, which will increase the size of the Park to more than 200 acres.
Growing the Park features five themed areas for visitors to enjoy, each representing an aspect of the Great Park: The Back Forty, The Runway, Sky’s the Limit, Great Park Gallery, and The Outfield.
- The Back Forty: Agriculture & Environment – Highlights agriculture history.The area includes a petting zoo, hands-on agricultural craft activities and cooking demonstrations.
- Great Park Gallery: Arts & Culture – Showcases arts and culture in the new Palm Court Artists Village.The area includes art displays and exhibits, demonstrations, local performers, hands-on activities and community partner booths.
- The Runway: Military & Aviation, Technology & the Future – Presents military history.Includes vintage aircraft and military vehicle displays, aerial entertainment and more.
- The Outfield: Sports & Recreation – Features sports, health and wellness.It will Include sports and fitness play area, demonstrations and community partner booths.
- Sky’s the Limit: – Represents the future of the Great Park.Includes Kids Rock playground, open play area and viewing area of aerial entertainment.
Gates open at 2:00 p.m., Saturday July 9, and the event is open from 3:00 to 9:30 p.m. Admission and parking are free. The Great Park can be accessed off the 5 or 405 Freeway from Sand Canyon at Marine Way.