One fateful day three decades ago, five boys picked up a game of handball
during school recess on a Fountain Valley playground. They grew up together,
became life-long friends and pursued their own ambitions. But they shared a
deep love for their hometown and dreamed of one day opening a restaurant
together where they could share good food, good drinks and reminisce about
good times. The Recess Room is their childhood dream come to life.
The Recess Room officially opened January 2017, including Modern American tapas and a plentiful selection of beverages. Cocktail program includes 24 craft beers on tap with a
strong emphasis on local breweries, a wine selection highlighting the California
coast, premium whiskeys, and handcrafted cocktails featuring locally sourced
and homegrown ingredients from the on-site herb garden.
A few Recess Room fun facts:
- The ceiling resembles a 1960s redwood basketball floor.
- The tables are made from 100-year- old wood from a Kentucky tobacco farm.
- The hostess table was formerly a 1900s European newspaper shear.
- The scones and accent lighting are a throwback to 1920s New York and Paris.
- Bar marble tops are meant to mimic the type of stone used to build Los Angeles and New York in the 20s and 30s.
- A close look at the restaurant’s fun “Wine Shack” and “Libations” signs reveals they are hand-painted the old-fashioned way, not printed out decals.
For more information, visit therecessroom.com.