Over $700,000 in Educational Scholarshipsand Professional Grants Available ThroughMay 15
The James Beard Foundation(JBF), the country’s preeminent culinary organization, is now accepting applications for its 2015 scholarship program. This year over $700,000 in scholarships and grants will be available, the largest amount in JBF history.
The host of new scholarship and grant offerings for 2015 includes two from South Coast Plaza’s premier restaurants,Marche Moderne and AnQi. The eateries held fundraising Friends of James Beard Benefit Dinners in 2014 and 2013. A third OC-based scholarship is funded by long-time Beard supporter Zov Karmardian, proprietor-founder of Zov’s Restaurants found throughout Orange County.
Established in 1991, the James Beard Foundation Scholarship Program assists aspiring and established culinary professionals who plan to further their education at a licensed or accredited culinary school or hospitality institution.
Application forms became available athttp://sms.scholarshipamerica.org/jamesbeard onApril 1, 2015. Applications must be postmarked by May 15, 2015.
‘For more than two decades now, our Foundation has nurtured and educated the next generation of great chefs, restaurateurs, sommeliers, and beverage experts through our prestigious scholarship program, said Diane Harris Brown, director of educational and community programming for the James Beard Foundation. ‘This year the Foundation is expanding its reach with a global opportunity, offering international scholarships in France and Italy. As of 2015, we will have awarded over $5.6 million in financial aid to 1,750 admirable recipients.
Scholarship opportunities include the following:
- AnQi by House of An South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa, CA, sponsored by the An Family Foundation). Preference will be given to residents, students or those working in hospitality in the areas of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Santa Monica or Orange County, CA (locations of House of An restaurants). Up to one (1) scholarship of $7,500 will be granted
- Marche Moderne South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa, CA, sponsored by Amelia and Florent Marneau). Preference will be given to residents, students or those working in hospitality in Orange County, CA. Up to one (1) scholarship of $10,500 will be granted.
- Zov’s Bistro (sponsored by Zov Karamardian, Tustin, CA). Up to one (1) scholarship of $10,000 will be granted.
The James Beard Foundation Scholarship Program is administered by the Scholarship Management Services division of Scholarship America, a nonprofit organization that has helped award scholarships to over one million students. Applications for scholarships are received and evaluated by Scholarship America. The applications of the finalists are then submitted to the James Beard Foundation’s Scholarship Selection Committee for final review.
All scholarship application materials, including transcript, must be postmarked by May 15, 2015. Professional grant applications must be postmarked by June 15, 2015.Scholarship winners will be notified in August 2015.
Other scholarships of note available include:
- Charlie Trotter Memorial Scholarship: In memory of the late Charlie Trotter, American chef/restaurateur and beloved friend to the James Beard Foundation, up to four scholarships of $15,000 each will be granted to culinary professionals who plan to further their education by attending an accredited culinary school.
- Taste America Scholarships: Sponsored by the James Beard Foundation, up to 10 scholarships in the amount of $2,500 will be granted to students residing or attending school in the states that hosted JBF’s national epicurean tour.
The James Beard Foundation is expanding its global reach with new international scholarships:
- Alain Ducasse Education Scholarship: The renowned and multiple Michelin-starred French chef Alain Ducassecreated the Alain Ducasse Education Scholarship to transmit his expertise in culinary, pastry and bakery arts, and wine. Up to one scholarship of $20,000 will be granted and the amount may be applied to tuition for studies at any of the following: Centre de Formation d’Alain Ducasse at Argenteuil, Ecole de Cuisine Alain Ducasse, or Ecole Nationale Superieure de PÃ¢tisserie.
- Tony May Scholarship for Italian Culinary Studies at the Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners: Up to three scholarships of approximately $5,000 will be granted, combining $2,000 from the James Beard Foundation with tuition waivers and in-kind donations from the sponsors. This program includes full tuition, room, and board for the complete Master Course at the Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners, headquartered in the Castle of Costigliole de’Asti, Regione Piemonte, Italy. Participants will have three weeks of intensive study, plus a two-month externship at one of the top restaurants in the Piemonte region.
Returning scholarships include:
- Andrew Zimmern’s ‘Second Chances Scholarship: A scholarship of $13,750, sponsored by Eyebobs, will offer a student faced with extreme challenges a ‘second chance to overcome their hardships.
- Miljenko ‘Mike Grgich’s American Dream Scholarship: A scholarship of $5,000, sponsored by Grgich Hills Estate, offers a professional wine studies program.
- Green Door Gourmet Scholarship: Sponsored by Sylvia Harrelson Ganier, this scholarship will reward $3,750 to a student with an interest in sustainable farming and learning to cooking creatively with fresh, nutritious foods.
- ConnectOne Bank Scholarship: An individual from the state of New Jersey and who possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and aspiration for excellence will be rewarded with a scholarship of $4,250 from this New Jersey-based financial institution.
Returning work study programs include:
- The Jean-Louis Palladin Professional Work/Study Grant: In memory of one of the great culinary geniuses of the 20th century, this opportunity will enable a qualified professional to work with food producers at their source and to study varied specialized skills.
- The Rhone Rangers Professional Study/Travel Grant:Designed for working chefs or sommeliers who wish to learn about American RhÃ´ne-varietal wines.