A buttery, savory veal dish perfect for any occasion.
1 lb Veal loin – cut into 8 (2-oz) pieces16 Fresh sage leaf16 Prosciutto – sliced1/2 C Olive oil1 C Chicken stock or low-sodium broth4 T Unsalted butter – (1/2 stick)All-purpose flour, as needed
- Arrange 2 slices of veal between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and use a mallet to gently pound them to about 1/4-inch thickness
- Arrange 2 leaves of sage and 2 slices of prosciutto on each piece of veal, and press lightly to adhere
- Lightly dust the prosciutto side of each piece of veal with a small amount of flour
- In a large sauté pan over moderately high heat, warm the olive oil
- Working in batches if necessary, sauté the veal, prosciutto side down first, until the prosciutto is crispy and the veal is just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side
- Set cooked pieces aside on a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep them warm
- Remove any excess oil from the pan and deglaze the pan with the stock or broth
- Add the butter to the pan and reduce by about 1/3rd until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes
- Return the meat to the pan and continue cooking to heat through as needed, about 1 minute
- • Serve the meat with the sauce spooned over top.