Ultimate Fajita Burger
All-American Recipe Contest 2014 Grand Prize winner for the Favorite 4th of July Recipe category. This is a fun twist on a traditional American burger.
(For Burger patties) 2 lbs. lean ground beef¼ cup salsa1 tsp. cumin1 tsp. chili powder1 tsp. salt½ tsp. pepper(For Toppings) 1 orange bell pepper, sliced1 red bell pepper, sliced½ cup thinly sliced red onions¼ cup salsa(For Sandwich)6 burger buns, toasted for bonus points6 oz. Chipotle Cheddar or Sharp Cheddar, sliced2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and mashedGarlic powder, to tasteSalt to taste6 large, thick slices tomatoes
- For the burgers: Mix all of the burger ingredients together in a medium bowl and press into 6 patties.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes on each side until the meat is cooked through and the center registers 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- If you’d like the cheese melted, add it to the top of the burgers 1 minute before they are cooked through.
- For the fajita bell pepper topping: Sauté the sliced peppers and onion in the salsa over medium heat until the peppers are cooked through and soft, about 6 minutes.
- Make a simple guacamole by combining the mashed avocados with garlic powder and salt to taste.
- To assemble the burgers put guacamole on the bun tops and bottoms like you would mayonnaise or other condiments.
- Add sliced tomato, burger, cheese if you didn’t melt it, and the pepper mixture.
- Top with the bun.
- If you like a little spice try adding a chopped jalapeño to the pepper mixture before cooking it.
- Enjoy while the peppers and burgers are hot.