Ultimate Fajita Burger
All-American Recipe Contest 2014 Grand Prize winner for the Favorite 4th of July Recipe category. This is a fun twist on a traditional American burger.
- (For Burger patties) 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- (For Toppings) 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onions
- ¼ cup salsa
- (For Sandwich)
- 6 burger buns, toasted for bonus points
- 6 oz. Chipotle Cheddar or Sharp Cheddar, sliced
- 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and mashed
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Salt to taste
- 6 large, thick slices tomatoes
- For the burgers: Mix all of the burger ingredients together in a medium bowl and press into 6 patties.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes on each side until the meat is cooked through and the center registers 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- If you’d like the cheese melted, add it to the top of the burgers 1 minute before they are cooked through.
- For the fajita bell pepper topping: Sauté the sliced peppers and onion in the salsa over medium heat until the peppers are cooked through and soft, about 6 minutes.
- Make a simple guacamole by combining the mashed avocados with garlic powder and salt to taste.
- To assemble the burgers put guacamole on the bun tops and bottoms like you would mayonnaise or other condiments.
- Add sliced tomato, burger, cheese if you didn’t melt it, and the pepper mixture.
- Top with the bun.
- If you like a little spice try adding a chopped jalapeño to the pepper mixture before cooking it.
- Enjoy while the peppers and burgers are hot.