Turkey Mushroom Burger
This juicy turkey mushroom burger is extra tasty with its fresh produce toppings of creamy California Avocado, sweet ripe tomatoes and zesty arugula.
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided1 sweet white or yellow onion, peeled and minced4 (2.5-inch diameter) Portobello mushrooms, wiped clean and minced1 Tbsp. Gourmet Garden™ red chile paste1 tsp. Gourmet Garden™ chunky garlic paste½ tsp. fresh cracked black pepper, plus additional to taste12 oz. lean ground turkey breast2 ripe, medium Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and sliced1 tsp. fresh lemon juice4 multigrain or whole wheat hamburger buns, warmed1 cup fresh arugula leaves2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, slicedSea salt, to taste
- In a large skillet heat half of the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent; do not brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooled onions, mushrooms, red chile and garlic pastes, black pepper and ground turkey. The mixture may seem very moist. Form into large patties and press an indentation in the center of each patty.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet, warm over medium heat and turn skillet to coat with the oil.
- Place turkey burger patties into the skillet and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes, gently flipping the patties several times to avoid charring. Remove from heat when center of patties reach 165 degrees F.
- Keep warm while preparing the buns.
- Mash ¼ of the avocado slices with the lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired; spread on bottom buns and top with arugula leaves.
- Place cooked burger patties on top of the arugula.
- Top with tomato and avocado slices and season if desired.
- Place top bun over the avocado and serve immediately.