Contributed by: Contributed by Panini Kabob Grill, Panini Kabob Grill - Irvine, Panini Kabob Grill - Mission Viejo, Panini Kabob Grill - Santa Ana, Panini Kabob Grill CVP - Mission Viejo
Traditional Chickpea Hummus
- 4 cups chickpeas
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic puree
- 3 ounces fresh lime juice (juice from one whole lemon can be substituted)
- 1½ cups olive oil
- 1. Put the chickpeas into a large saucepan. Fill with water to just above the level of the chickpeas and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes, until the chickpeas are tender.
- 2. Transfer the chickpeas to a colander, rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Add the chickpeas and all other ingredients to a blender or food processor, or process with a stick blender in a large, round container. Process until smooth and creamy. Cover and refrigerate.
- *While it is hard not to indulge right after it’s made, it is recommended that you let it cool in the fridge for at least 12 hours. This gives it time to thicken, and it tastes best when chilled.