Tea Infused Shrimp Spring Rolls
Tea Poached Shrimp raise this Spring Roll recipe to a new standard.
4 Sheets Vietnamese Rice PaperBowl Warm Water8 medium Shrimp – peeled, deveined &sliced in half lengthwise2 heaping T Lapsang Souchong Tea1/2 C Carrots – shredded1 C Kale – shredded1 Leek – white part only thinly sliced1 T Green Onion No. 75 – minced1 t Cracked Ginger No. 1391 t Tibetan Lake “Mongolian” Salt1/2 t Wild Green Szechuan Pepper No.59 – freshly ground1 T Peanut oil1/2 T Toasted sesame oil1 t Hei Jin Soy Sauce1 T Toasted Sesame SeedsPOACHING LIQUID2 C Poaching Liquid* Choose your teaand brew according to directionsspecifically for that Tea2 C Water @ 212 degrees2 Heaping T Tea
- Poaching Liquid:
- Brew the Lapsang Souchong Tea in 2 cups of water at 212°.
- Add the shrimp and poach until thoroughly cooked. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Pre-heat a wok on high heat until the pan begins to smoke slightly.
- Add the peanut oil and tilt the wok to coat the sides with the hot oil.
- Carefully add the leeks and kale stirring briskly for a minute or two.
- Lower the heat to medium-high and add Hei Jin Soy Sauce, Minced Green Onion No. 75, Cracked Ginger No. 139, Tibetan Lake “Mongolian” Salt, and Wild Green Szechuan Pepper No. 59.
- Strain to remove excess liquid and allow to cool in a strainer.
- Spring Rolls:
- Dip a sheet of the Vietnamese Rice Paper into a bowl of warm water for 5 seconds.
- Lay the rice paper flat and begin to assemble the spring roll. Begin by placing the shrimp about an inch from the end of the rice paper.
- Add1-2 T of the leek and kale mixture over the shrimp.
- Sprinkle with carrots and toasted sesame seeds.
- Fold in the 2 sides and roll up as snug as possible.
- Chef’s Tips: For this recipe we used Lapsang Souchong Tea for the poaching liquid. This unique Black Tea has a deep smoky essence and was a delightful addition to this flavorful, light dish.
- Recipe Courtesy of www.thespicelab.com