Contributed by: Chef Katie Workman
Sweet Potato Pie
Sweet Potato Pie By Chef Katie Workman taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
- 3 Medium sweet potatoes
- 1 Refrigerated pie crust for 9-inch pie
- 3 Large eggs
- Grated zest of one orange
- 2/3 C Sugar
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1 C Light or heavy cream
- Sweetened whipped cream to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prick the sweet potatoes in several places with a fork, and bake the sweet potatoes for 1 hour until soft. Leave the oven on. Remove and slightly cool the potatoes, then peel and puree in a food processor or pass them through a ricer, and place in a large bowl. You should have about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups puree.
- Unroll the prepared pie crust and fit it into a 9-pinchpie plate. Attractively crimp the edges of the crust.
- For the filling, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and orange zest. Whisk in the pureed sweet potatoes, and then add the sugar, cinnamon and salt and whisk into the sweet potato mixture until blended. Slowly whisk in the cream until well combined. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake the pie for about 1 hour, until the filling is set. You can test this by inserting a sharp knife near the center; when it come out clean, the pie is done. Cool completely on a wire rack. The pie will be a bit puffed up when it comes out of the oven, the sink as it cools. You can serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 2 days. Serve sliced, with whipped cream, if desired.