Chef Jeff Boullt’s Sunday Night Chicken Thigh recipe combines creole mustard, blood oranges, tarragon, and bourbon to create a smooth delicious dish. Pair it with the Social Circles Cocktail.
Sunday Night Chicken Thighs
Chef Jeff Boullt’s Sunday Night Chicken Thigh recipe combines creole mustard, blood oranges, tarragon, and bourbon to create a smooth delicious dish.
8 Organic chicken thighs3 T Grapeseed oil1 1/2 T Kosher salt3/4 T Cracked black pepper1/2 T Smoked paprika1/4 Spanish onion – julienned1/4 C Thyme1 Egg yolk (large)1/2 C Parmesan cheese1/2 C Zatarain’s Creole mustard1 T Tarragon – chopped1 T Flat Leaf Parsley – chopped1 T Honey1/2 C Shallot – brunoise1/2 C Steen’s pure Louisiana cane vinegar1/2 C Chicken stock or broth1/4 C Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauce6 Blood oranges – supremed into segments1 T Unsalted butter1/2 lb Arugula – washed2 Lemons – juiced1/2 C Extra virgin olive oil2 T Four Roses Bourbon2 oz Goat Cheese crumblesSalt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- CHICKEN MARINADE
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 T grapeseed oil, 1 T Kosher Salt, 1/2 T cracked black pepper, smoked paprika, Spanish onion and thyme until completely smooth and combined. Add chicken thighs into the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight if possible.
- MUSTARD GLAZE
- In a stainless steel mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolk, Parmesan cheese, Creole mustard, tarragon, flat leaf parsley, honey, 1/2 T Kosher salt and 1/4 T black pepper until completely smooth andcombined. Cover and refrigerate.
- CHICKEN THIGHS
- Heat an oven-safe large saute pan over medium-high heat for 20 seconds. Add the remaining 1 T grapeseed oil. Once oil has reached its first smoking point, add the marinated chicken thighs skin side down and hard sear for 8 to 10 minutes or until skin is crispy. Make sure to space the chicken thighs at least 1 inch from each other. If you overcrowd the pan, you will be steaming the chicken thighs and not searing. Once skin is crispy, remove chicken thighs and place chicken skin side up on a sheet pan with a roasting rack.
- Reserve sauté pan and do not discard anything from pan. This is where the great flavor development is. Brush the mustard mixture evenly over the 8 chicken thighs. Place sheet pan in oven with chicken thighs for an additional 30 minutes or until chicken is 165 degrees F. Remove from oven.
- TO FINISH
- Over medium-high heat, warm up the reserved sauté pan. Place shallots in sauté pan and cook until translucent. Deglaze by adding vinegar, stock and Worcestershire and bourbon. Scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. This equals flavor. Reduce liquids by half and add unsalted butter. Check seasoning. Add Kosher salt and cracked black pepper as desired. Place glazed chicken thighs in reduced sauce and keep warm.
- In a mixing bowl, toss blood oranges, arugula, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Once completed plate and garnish with goat cheese. Add chicken and spoon the pan sauce over.