2 cups sugar1 cup lard4 cups Wondra flour plus more for rolling (Wondra flour is finely ground and produces a lighter cookie; you may substitute cake flour)1 tsp baking powderPinch of salt2 eggs1 cup buttermilk1 tsp baking soda1 cap full of vanillaSugar for sprinklingIngredients for icing3 3/4 cups confectioners sugar1/2 cup butter, softened2 Tbsp milk2 Tbsp coffee (to cut the sweetness)1 tsp vanilla
- Knead together sugar, lard, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a hole in the center of the dough, and pour eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla into it.
- Stir to combine.
- Chill dough overnight.
- Flour a work surface, your hands, and a rolling pin with Wondra flour.
- Roll dough until it’s about 1/4-inch thick.
- Use heart shaped cookie cutters for Valentine’s Day.
- Then place dough onto a baking sheet (preferably a baking stone).
- Sprinkle some with sugar, and leave others for icing.
- Bake at 400°F for about 8 minutes.
- Beat together ingredients for icing and add pink/red food coloring, if you like.
- Spread onto cookies, or use a piping bag to decorate them with sprinkles or chocolate bits.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.