Strawberry Jam Infused With Yerba Mate
One of most delicious, efficient, and nutritious ways to eat is by preserving the harvest. Here’s how to make your own strawberry jam and preserve the season all year!
- 2 lbs Strawberries – rinsed and quartered
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 T Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 bags Yerba mate (or any tea of your choice)
- 1 Lemon – zested
- 5 Thyme sprigs (optional)
- 1. Fill water bath canner with hot water, add mason jars and lids and bring to a boil – this is to sterilize the jars.
- 2. Rinse berries.
- 3. Remove green stem and quarter with a knife.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine quartered berries, thyme sprigs, sugar, lemon juice and zest.
- 5. Let marinate for at least an hour or preferably overnight.
- 6. In a cast iron pan, add strawberry mixture as well as tea bags.
- 7. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium low heat and cook for 20 minutes, stirring and mashing the berries as they cook.
- 8. Skim the foam.
- 9. Remove mason jars from hot water and ladle the jam into the jars, leaving 1/4” from the top of the jar. Wipe the rims clean and seal.
- 10. Process jams by placing in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove jars from water, let cool, and place on a shelf to enjoy in the off-season!