Spicy Tofu Taco
Spicy Tofu Tacos are a great and flavorful taco for those looking for a vegetarian option in their meal.
TOFU:2 Packages Extra-firm AFC Soy Foods tofu – cubed 5/8” – drained overnight1 C Sambal paste1 Cilantro – chopped2 t Salt2 T OilTACO:6” Corn tortilla – doradoTofu – AFC Soy FoodsOil – as needed1/4 C Cabbage Slaw2 Avocado slices – saltedShredded lettuce4 Fried plantain slices4 Pickled jalapeno slicesCilantro – chopped1 Jalapeno ‘flower’ – beer-battered, deep-fried
- Pat tofu cubes dry, and toss with sambal, chopped cilantro, salt and oil.
- Lightly oil the tortillas on both sides and cook on a comal until toasted, chewy and crisp around the edges, with golden spots.
- While the tortillas are toasting, heat a heavy pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 T oil to the pan and sear the cubes in one layer until browned, turning as little as possible.
- Pile the tofu on top of the tortillas and top with the cabbage slaw, avocado slices, shredded lettuce, plantain chips and pickled jalapenos, as shown.
- Sprinkle generously with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with a beer-battered jalapeno flower on the side.