Southern California BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
A California-inspired pulled pork sandwich recipe features slow cooked pork and a flavorful bun
2½ lbs Pork shoulder, boneless1 ea Orange, medium1 ea Onion, medium, rough chopped6 ea Garlic cloves, peeled2 ea Chipotle, in adobo1 tsp Coriander seed1 tsp Cumin seed1 tsp Peppercorn, black2 Cups VIVA® Lard (more as necessary to submerge ingredients)1½ Cups Southern California (El Pato) BBQ Sauce (see separate recipe)
- Cut pork shoulder into 2-3 inch pieces. Cut orange in half and cut halves into quarters, peel and all.
- Place all ingredients into the bowl of a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker on high.
- When lard has melted, ensure that all ingredients are submerged in the fat.
- Add additional lard as necessary.
- Cover and cook until pork is tender, approximately 5 hours.
- With tongs, remove the pork to a cutting board and allow to cool. Being careful of the hot fat, strain the lard and reserve for future use.
- Discard orange, vegetables and spices.
- Shred the pork finely.
- In a medium mixing bowl thoroughly combine shredded pork with BBQ sauce.