Contributed by: Chef Deborah Schneider, SOL Cocina - Newport Beach, Solita Tacos & Margaritas - Huntington Beach
Sopa De Elote Y Calabaza
Sopa De Elote Y Calabaza taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
- 4 Ears fresh sweet yellow corn
- 3 TSalted butter
- 1 White onion – finely diced
- 1 t Whole coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 Small zucchini or green calabaza squash – finely diced (about 2 cups)
- 6 C Water
- 1 t Kosher salt
- 1 T Shredded fresh epazote leaves
- 1/3 C Heavy cream or Mexican crema
- Remove and discard the husks and silk from the corn and cut the kernels from each cob. You should have about 3 cups of kernels. Reserve the cobs.
- In a 10-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion, corn kernels, and coriander. Cover and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Add the corncobs, zucchini, water, and salt to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Just before serving, remove and discard the corncobs and stir in the epazote. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Ladle the hot soup into bowls and top each with a spoonful of crema.