Shrimp Ceviche on Half Papaya
Shrimp Ceviche on Half Papaya is a fresh and exciting twist on ceviche that is sure to delight any guest.
Ingredients2 T Salt1 Celery stick1 Orange – cut in half3 Bay leaf1/2 T Black pepper – whole1 lb Shrimp – medium-small, peeled and deveined3/4 C Lime juice – (juice from 4-6 limes)3/4 C Lemon juice – (juice from 2-3 lemons)1 C Tomato juice1/2 T Worcestershire sauce 1 C Red onion – finely chopped2 Serrano chile – ribs and seeds removed, minced2 Cucumber – 1 peeled diced into 1/2-inch pieces & 1 sliced1/2 C Cilantro – chopped1 Avocado – peeled, seed removed, cut into 1/2-inch chunks1/2 Papaya
- In a large pot, bring to a boil 4 quarts of water, salted with 2 T salt. Add the celery, orange, bay leaves & pepper. Then add shrimp and cook for 1 to 2 minutes max, depending on size of shrimp (over-cooking the shrimp will turn it rubbery). Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and place into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Drain the shrimp. Cut each piece of shrimp in half, or into inch-long pieces. Place shrimp in a glass or ceramic bowl. Mix in the lime and lemon juice, tomato juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and refrigerate for a half hour.
- Mix in the chopped red onion, serrano chile, cucumber, cilantro & avocado.
- Place it in the papaya and arrange the sliced cucumbers around.
- Right before serving, garnish with crispy banana & micro cilantro.