Salt & Pepper Pork Chops with Red Plum Sauce
Here’s a recipe that Chef Ron Lee used to make for his fellow cooks on special occasions. They would ask for it for family meal at least once a month.
3 Single bone pork chops1/2 C Corn starch2 T Garlic – minced2 t Ginger – minced2 Red Fresno or jalapeño chilis – sliced thinly2 Scallions – sliced on a bias 1/2 inch pieces1 t Salt1/2 t Black pepper1 t SugarRED PLUM SAUCE4 Red plums – peeled seeded and cut into quarters1/4 C Sugar1/3 C Rice vinegar1 T Shallots – minced1 t Lemongrass – minced1 t Fish sauce
- Pound pork chop with a tenderizer to 1/2” thickness. Season both sides with salt
- and pepper. Dredge in corn starch. Shallow fry on medium heat in a skillet with a
- 1/4” of neutral oil. Cook chops one by one in the skillet till lightly browned on both
- sides. Let drain on a towel. In a separate pan or wok. Add Black pepper and toast
- till fragrant with no oil. Add 3 T oil and add cooked pork chops. Once golden brown
- flip and add garlic, ginger, chilis, and scallions. Mix salt and sugar and season
- chops liberally. Place pork chops on a plate and spoon the luscious aromatics and
- the sauce over the top of the meat.
- Add sugar to a sauce pan. Bring to medium heat and make a dry caramel. Add
- shallots, lemongrass and plums. Let the juices of the fruit degrade the pan. Add
- vinegar and reduce liquid by a third. Add fish sauce. Blend at high speed to make