Pumpkin Mac n Cheese
Seasonal ingredients (like pumpkin_ put the perfect twist on classic favorites (like your favorite childhood dish- mac n cheese!). SideChef has over 100
2 Tbsp ButterSalt¼ cup Plain breadcrumbs¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs2 Tbsp Fresh sage¼ cup Fontina cheese½ cup Parmesan cheese2 cups Cheddar cheese (Substitution: Gruyere cheese)¾ Pumpkin puree (Substitution: Pumpkin puree)½ tsp Paprika½ tsp Garlic powder½ tsp Onion powder½ tsp Dried thyme1 tsp Freshly ground pepper1 tsp salt4 cups Whole milk3 Tbsp All purpose flour3 Tbsp butter1 lb. Penne paste (Substitution: Any cut of pasta)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place a 9 x 13 baking dish on a baking sheet, or arrange 6-8 individual ramekins on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Grate the parmesan cheese (1/2 cup), cheddar cheese (2 cups), and fontina cheese (1/4 cup).
- Thinly slice the fresh sage (2 Tbsp).
- Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil. Season with salt (to taste) and add the penne pasta (1 lb). Stir often and cook 2 minutes under suggested cooking time. It should not be overly soft. Drain and set aside.
- To make the pumpkin cheese sauce, heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add butter (3 Tbsp) and melt.
- Add the all purpose flour (3 Tbsp) and whisk together.
- Cook for a few minutes until the mixture smells nutty.
- Stream in the whole milk (4 cups) while whisking the entire time. Bring to a simmer and allow the milk to thicken. You will know the sauce is ready when the back of a wooden spoon is coated and you can leave a line with your finger.
- Once thickened, season with the Dijon mustard (1 Tbsp), salt (1 tsp), freshly ground black pepper (1 tsp), dried thyme (1/2 tsp), onion powder (1/2 tsp), garlic powder (1/2 tsp) and paprika (1/2 tsp).
- Stir in the pumpkin puree (3/4 cup).
- Turn off the heat and add the cheddar cheese (reserving a bit), parmesan cheese (reserving a bit) and fontina cheese.
- Stir until the cheeses melt and the sauce is evenly incorporated together.
- Add the cooked penne pasta and stir.
- Pour into the baking dish or portion out into the individual ramekins.
- Top with reserved cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
- To make the sage breadcrumb topping, heat a small pot over low heat.
- Add butter (2 Tbsp) and melt.
- Add the fresh sage and cook until crispy.
- Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs (1/4 cup) and plain breadcrumbs (1/4 cup).
- Add the crispy fresh sage and butter.
- Stir with a spoon and sprinkle evenly over the mac and cheese.
- Bake on the center rack for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve right away and enjoy.