Potatoes and Peas in a Fragrant Curry
Large chunks of potatoes and peas in a homemade curry
4-5 medium potatoes, boiled and cut in to large chunks1 cup fresh or frozen peas1 large yellow onion, diced2 Tbsp minced/grated ginger1 Tbsp minced garlic¼ cup oil1 tsp cumin seeds1 bay leaf½ tsp mustard seeds½ tsp fenugreek seeds2 Tbsp ground coriander1 Tbsp ground cumin2 tsp chili powder1 tsp turmeric2 Tbsp paprika½ t garam masala ** (recipe below)1 Tbsp mango powder¼ cup lime juiceSalt1 can (14.5oz) whole peeled tomatoes, pureed6 cups water¼ cup chopped cilantro
- In a medium sized pot, heat oil till shimmering.
- Bloom cumin seeds, bay leaf, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Quickly follow with diced onion, minced ginger and garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- Add in tomatoes, ground coriander, ground cumin, chili powder, turmeric and paprika with a pinch of salt.
- Cook together until tomatoes are cooked through and oil is released.
- Stir in water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer together and let reduce slightly, until slightly thickened.
- Add in potatoes and peas and continue to simmer.
- Finish with mango powder and lime juice.
- Adjust seasoning and cook together for at least 15 minutes and let rest for a few minutes for sauce to thicken.
- Garnish with cilantro.