Enjoy with Chef Lee Anne Wong’s Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce. CLICK HERE for Recipe.
Pork and Chive Dumplings
This classic recipe is a winner every time – Recipe from DUMPLINGS ALL DAY WONG by Lee Ann Wong
1 1/2 lb (680 g) ground pork1 1/2 lb (75 g) garlic/Chinese chives, chopped 1/4" (3 mm) thick1/4 cup (55 g) ground fatback1/4 cup (60 ml) low sodium soy sauce1/4 cup (60 ml) shao xing rice wine2 tbsp (28 g) ginger, finely grated or minced2 tsp (10 g) sugar1 tsp (5g) salt60 round dumpling skinsChopped scallions for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pork, garlic chives, fatback, soy sauce, shao xing, ginger, sugar, salt and white pepper.
- Mix the ingredients until the filling is well combined.
- Fill and form each dumpling with a 1/2 tablespoon of pork filling.
- Choose your cooking method: Boiled, Steamed, Pan-Fried or Deep-Fried.
- If Boiling: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Cook the dumplings in small batches for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain, serve immediately with soy ginger dipping sauce.
- If Steaming: Steam on greased parchment paper over a boiling water bath until the filling and dumpling skins are cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- If Pan-frying: In a small container, mix 2 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of flour until the flour has dissolved into the water and the mixture is cloudy.
- Heat a small nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add a tablespoon/15 milliliters of vegetable oil to the pan and place the dumplings in the pan, lined up next to each other and cook until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of flour/water mix to the pan; it will react with the hot pan and steam and splatter a bit so as soon as you add the flour/water mixture.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitted lid.
- Cook the dumplings covered until almost all of the water has evaporated and a thin golden crust begins to form in the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the lid and cook until all water has evaporated.
- Carefully removed the dumplings from the pan, serve immediately.
- If Deep Frying: Preheat a large pot of deep fry oil to 350°F/175°C.
- Carefully drop the dumplings one by one into the hot oil, frying in small batches being sure not to overcrowd the oil.
- Cook the dumplings for 2 minutes, until the filling is cooked and the exterior is golden brown.
- Drain to a paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining dumplings until all are cooked, making sure the oil temperature returns to 350°F/176°C before frying the next batch.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce.