Perfect Scones taste great. This flaky, tender delicate version of scones served at Coffee, Tea and Tulips are complemented by house made lemon curd and apricot jam imported from Lebanon.
2 1/2 C flour – sifted1/4 C sugar1 1/2 t baking powderPinch of salt3 oz unsalted butter – cold, chopped or shredded3-4 oz dried fruit – cranberry or currants are great1 egg – beaten2 oz 2% milk6 oz half and half
- Preheat oven to 410
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl, add butter and mash using a large fork or pastry blender. Add dried fruit and mix.
- Mix egg with dairy in separate bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula with one hand, gently move the dry ingredients and add the wet, being sure to gently mix any dry ingredients from the bottom of bowl. Fold sides in.
- When you are finished, which should not take long, there should be a little dairy left in the bowl. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop a portion of the dough and release onto either a parchment-lined sheet pan, or double sheet pans.
- Bake for 16 minutes then check. Adjust time as necessary to achieve a golden color.