Open Faced Grilled Cactus Pepper Jack
Endive Boats Green Olive Parsley Walnut Salad taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
- 2 cups 1/2-inch strips cleaned raw cactus leaves
- 1 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 slices rustic whole-grain bread, about 3/8 inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 8 ounces pepper Jack cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, toss together the cactus, onion, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Season with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture in a grill basket or on a grill pan. Do not wash the bowl. Grill until the vegetables are slightly charred and softened, about 5 minutes. Return them to the bowl and toss with the vinegar and cilantro.
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil. Grill the bread, oiled-side down, until golden. Rub the browned sides with the garlic. Place the bread toasted-side up and top with the cactus-onion mixture and cheese. Place on the grill and close the lid. Grill just long enough to melt the cheese, about 1 minute; watch carefully because bread burns easily. Serve hot.