Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
1 C Whole wheat flour3/4 C All-purpose flour2 t Baking powder1 t Baking soda1 C Sugar1/2 t Salt3/4 C Low-fat buttermilk1 Large ripe banana – mashed with a fork3 Large egg whitesJuice and finely grated zest of 2 lemons (about 1/2 C juice and 1 T zest)1/2 t Pure almond extract1 T Poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a standard 12-capacity muffin pan with paper liners or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the mashed banana and egg whites.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the banana, buttermilk, and egg whites on medium speed until blended, about 1 minute.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, almond extract, and poppy seeds.
- Continue to beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat until the batter comes together and there are no visible lumps.
- Using a ladle, pour the batter into the prepared pan, using about 3/4 cup of batter per muffin cup.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the muffins mound slightly and are firm to the touch.
- Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- *Per serving: 155 calories, 1 g total fat (0 g saturated), 1 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 4 g protein,
- 2 g fiber, 35 g carb
- Rehab Tip: Muffins
- Sure to give you a muffin top,a typical store-bought muffin can start your day off with more than 600 calories and 25 grams of fat, and many of them contain more sugar than a candy bar! Make your own at home using fruit purees like mashed bananas or applesauce to add moisture and a touch of sweetness without a ton of fat or sugar.