For more dessert recipe cookbooks by Bev Shaffer, please visit the links below:
Hungarian Cream Cheese Kifli
Hungarian Cream Cheese Kifli taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
1 lb. unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature1 lb. cream cheese, cut into pieces, room temperature1 tbsp. baking powder6 large egg yolks, reserving egg whites for brushing cookies5 cups unbleached, all-purpose flourConfectioners’ sugar for dusting cookies
- Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Mix the baking powder into egg yolks, whisking to blend. Add to the butter mixture, blending well.
- Add the flour gradually until all is incorporated and dough comes away from bowl.
- Divide dough in eighths and shape each into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; flatten to 1/2". Chill dough overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookies sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough on lightly floured board, turning and flipping as you roll, until very thin, a minimum of 1/16". Cut 2" squares (or any desired shape). Fill with 1/2 tsp. to 3/4 tsp. of desired filling and
- fold 2 of the opposite corners together. Pinch lightly to seal.
- Brush with reserved egg whites.
- Bake until a light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool 1 minute, then remove from cookie sheets to wire racks to cool completely.
- Sprinkle cookies with confectioners’ sugar when cool. Makes about 12 dozen (recipe can easily be halved).