Grilled Chicken and Avocado Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Light salad with savory, Summer flavors
1 pound boneless, skinless half chicken breastsextra virgin olive oilsalt and freshly ground black pepper3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest2 teaspoons honey1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves½ teaspoon minced garlic¼ teaspoon salt¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper3 large avocados, peeled, seeded, and cut into bite-size pieces3 cups baby or regular arugula leaves1 piece Parmesan cheese (for shaving)
- 1. Preheat the grill to medium high.
- 2. Cut each half chicken breast in half crosswise.
- 3. Brush the chicken pieces on both sides with olive oil. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- 4. Grill the chicken pieces for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- 5. To make the vinaigrette, pour the lemon juice in a large bowl. Whisk in the measured olive oil, lemon zest, honey, rosemary, garlic, and measured salt and pepper.
- 6. Cut chicken pieces crosswise into strips.
- 7. Add the chicken, avocado, and arugula to the vinaigrette. Toss gently to combine.
- 8. Divide the salad among the serving plates.
- 9. Top with shavings of Parmesan, cut with a vegetable peeler.
- Suggested Pairings:
- Baily Winery 2015 Rosé of Sangiovese – Fun, fruity and full of character!
- Doffo Winery 2016 Rosario – A delightful fragrance of fresh strawberries, white rose, and hibiscus are mirrored on the palate.
- Hart Winery 2016 Rosé of Sangiovese – Lightly pink, near-dry, delicately scented and flavored Rose′.
- Maurice Car’rie/Van Roekel Winery 2016 Pinot Noir Rosé – Wonderful notes of strawberry short cake, Asian pear, and springtime wildflowers.
- Recipe and photo courtesy of the Wine Institute of California