Contributed by: Temecula Valley Winegrowers
Grilled Chicken and Avocado Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Light salad with savory, Summer flavors
- 1 pound boneless, skinless half chicken breasts
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large avocados, peeled, seeded, and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups baby or regular arugula leaves
- 1 piece Parmesan cheese (for shaving)
- 1. Preheat the grill to medium high.
- 2. Cut each half chicken breast in half crosswise.
- 3. Brush the chicken pieces on both sides with olive oil. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- 4. Grill the chicken pieces for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- 5. To make the vinaigrette, pour the lemon juice in a large bowl. Whisk in the measured olive oil, lemon zest, honey, rosemary, garlic, and measured salt and pepper.
- 6. Cut chicken pieces crosswise into strips.
- 7. Add the chicken, avocado, and arugula to the vinaigrette. Toss gently to combine.
- 8. Divide the salad among the serving plates.
- 9. Top with shavings of Parmesan, cut with a vegetable peeler.
- Suggested Pairings:
- Baily Winery 2015 Rosé of Sangiovese – Fun, fruity and full of character!
- Doffo Winery 2016 Rosario – A delightful fragrance of fresh strawberries, white rose, and hibiscus are mirrored on the palate.
- Hart Winery 2016 Rosé of Sangiovese – Lightly pink, near-dry, delicately scented and flavored Rose′.
- Maurice Car’rie/Van Roekel Winery 2016 Pinot Noir Rosé – Wonderful notes of strawberry short cake, Asian pear, and springtime wildflowers.
- Recipe and photo courtesy of the Wine Institute of California