Recipe for Greek “Moussaka” by Restaurateur George Korominas from Acropolis Cuisine
1 large eggplantice water1/2 c. salt.2 potatoesFOR MEAT SAUCE: 1 onion, chopped.1/2 lb ground beef1/2 lb ground pork1/2 lb ground lamb2 tsp. oregano1/2 tsp. cinnamon1/4 tsp. nutmeg3 cloves garlic, minced1/2 c. full bodied red wineFOR CHEESE MIXTURE: 1 c. ricotta cheese3/4 c. feta cheese1/4 c. Kefalotiri or Pecorino Romano1 large eggFOR BECHAMEL SAUCE: 1 1/4c. whole milk1/4 onion1 bay leaf2 cloves1 pinch nutmeg2. T. unsalted butter2 T. all-purpose flourGARNISH: Tomatoes or Parsley
- Preheat oven to 350F Degrees.
- Cut 1 large eggplant, 1/4 inch slice, placing in large bowl of ice water and 1/2 c. salt.
- Soak 20 minutes and place in strainer to drain.
- Peel and boil 2 baking potatoes until neither crispy nor soft.
- Drain, cool, and slice, 1/4 inch.
- In a large skillet over high heat with 1/2 c. olive oil, fry potato slices 2 minutes per side and drain on paper towels.
- Fry eggplant 3 minutes per side and drain on paper towels.
- To make the meat sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sweat 1 onion, chopped.
- Add 1/2 lb ground beef, 1/2 lb ground pork and 1/2 lb ground lamb and brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add 2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and 3 cloves garlic, minced.
- Deglaze pan with 1/2 c. full bodied red wine and reduce for 2-3 minutes.
- To make cheese mixture: Combine 1 c. ricotta cheese, 3/4 c. feta cheese, 1/4 c. Kefalotiri or Pecorino Romano and 1 large egg, beaten.
- To make béchamel sauce: In a small saucepan over low heat combine 1 1/4c. whole milk, 1/4 onion, 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves and pinch nutmeg and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Discard onion, bay leaf and cloves.
- In a second small saucepan over medium heat melt 2. T. unsalted butter and stir in 2 T. all-purpose flour, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes but do not brown.
- While stirring continuously, slowly add warm milk mixture one-third at a time while simmering for a total of 8 to 10 minutes.
- To assemble: Butter a 9×13 glass baking pan and layer with potatoes, then half of meat mixture, then half of cheese mixture, then eggplant slices, then remaining half of meat, and then remaining half of cheese mixture, and top with béchamel sauce, allowing béchamel to run into sides of pan.
- Sprinkle with Kefalotiri or Pecorino Romano.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
- Rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with Kefalotiri or Pecorino Romano, tomatoes and flat Italian parsley.