Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
A super easy meal with an amazing sweet and savory sauce with a little bit of heat! This is way better than takeout!
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into one-inch cubes¼ cup cornstarch1 tablespoon vegetable oil½ cup hoisin sauce2 T soy sauce½ cup brown sugar3 cloves garlic, minced3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar1 teaspoon sesame oil¼ tsp dry ginger½ tsp crushed red pepper (more or less to liking)Optional garnish, green onions, sesame seeds, additional red pepper flakes
- In a mixing bowl add the chicken and cornstarch. Toss until the chicken is completely coated in the cornstarch. In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add oil and cook the chicken until the chicken is lightly brown but not cooked throughout. Put in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and crushed red pepper. Pour on top of chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked throughout. *see note
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes if desired.
- If you are cooking the chicken without browning in the skillet first when chicken is finished cooking, remove the chicken and add 1 Tablespoon cornstarch to the sauce. Add the chicken back to the crockpot and cook for an additional 15 minutes until the sauce thickens up. Chicken could also take longer to cook, closer to 4 hours.