A delicious masala made from scratch
2 ea cinnamon sticks3 ea bay leaves6T cumin seeds8T coriander seeds1T green cardamom1t black pepper, whole5 ea cloves1 ea dried red chili1t mace2 ea black cardamomPinch of ground nutmeg
- Toast all spices except ground nutmeg in a large pan over very low heat until just a shade darker and very fragrant.
- Remove from heat and add in nutmeg.
- When cool, grind fine using a spice or coffee grinder.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.
- ** note, if using for a spice rub, the spice can be coarsely ground**