Extra-Meaty Paleo Chili
This Paleo-friendly version follows chili tradition, relying on lots of spices and beef bone broth to develop even more flavor.
2 tablespoons olive oil1 yellow onion (large, chopped)6 cloves minced garlic2 pounds ground beefsea salt1 tablespoon ground cumin1 teaspoon smoked paprika2 teaspoons dried oregano1 tablespoon chili powder2 teaspoons red pepper flakes1 teaspoon cayenne pepper1 tablespoon raw honey2 tablespoons tomato paste15 ounces diced tomatoes1 tablespoon red wine vinegar3 1/2 cups bone broth (beef)lime (to serve)cilantro (to serve)
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot.
- 2. Sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Stir in minced garlic and ground beef and brown over high heat.
- 4. Season with a large pinch of salt.
- 5. Stir in cumin, paprika, oregano, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Cook 30 seconds.
- 6. Stir in honey, tomato paste, tomatoes, vinegar, and bone broth.
- 7. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, until meat is tender and broth is thickened, about 2 hours. Season to taste with more salt and serve with a squeeze of lime and cilantro.