Danish Salted-Butter Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled salted butter, cut into pieces3/4 cup granulated sugar1 tsp vanilla extract2 large eggs2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more1 cup sugar (sanding or turbinado)3″-diameter and a 1 1/2″-diameter fluted cookie cutter
- 1. Combine butter, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer on high speed and beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Beat in 1 of the eggs and reduce the mixing speed to low. Gradually mix in 2 cups of the flour. Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic. Chill until for about 2 hours and it should be firm.
- 3. Preheat to 350°F. Let disk of dough sit at room temperature until softened. 4.Roll out dough on a lightly floured work space, until about 3/8″ thick.
- 5. Punch out rounds with large cutter and continue to punch out centers with smaller cutter. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure that the cookies are spaced 1 1/2″ apart. Pat scraps and chill again until needed.
- 6. Beat remaining egg in a small bowl with 1 tsp. water; brush cookies with egg wash; sprinkle with sugar. Chill for 15 minutes.
- 7. Bake, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until edges are golden brown, 10–15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.
- 8. Repeat with chilled scraps and remaining egg wash and sugar.