Coconut Curry Chicken
¼ cup Oil1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced4 tsp minced garlic4 tsp minced ginger1 cinnamon stick1 bay leaf2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces1 can unsweetened coconut milksaltLightly toast and grind together:2 Tbsp coriander seeds2 Tbsp cumin seeds¼ tsp cloves¼ tsp fennel seeds¼ tsp green cardamom¼ tsp turmeric2 Tbsp black pepper
- In a medium size pot, over medium heat, heat oil till shimmering.
- Bloom cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Quickly follow with sliced onions and a pinch of salt.
- Cook briefly, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent.
- Add in minced ginger and garlic and continue to cook until golden and raw smell has disappeared.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add in masala mix and stir to mix completely.
- Add in seasoned chicken and cook briefly.
- Slowly stir in coconut milk and cook over low heat until chicken is cooked through – about 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.