Chingudi Masala (Oriya Shrimp Curry)
¼ cup oil1 large yellow onion, diced2 Tbsp minced garlic2 Tbsp minced ginger1 Tbsp minced serrano6 tomatoes, diced½ tsp turmeric½ tsp chili powder2 Tbsp masala mix (see below)1 lb shrimp – peeled and deveined2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)*MASALA MIX*Lightly toast and grind:2 Tbsp cumin seeds5 ea green cardamom2 ea cinnamon5 ea red chili
- In a large saucepan, heat oil till shimmering.
- Stir in onions with a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Stir in ginger, garlic and minced chili and cook until cooked through and raw smell disappears.
- Add in tomatoes, turmeric and chili powder.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until tomatoes are completely broken down and oil is released.
- Stir in Masala Mix.
- Heat through until fragrant.
- Stir in shrimp and cook over medium heat until cooked through and pink.
- Finish with cilantro.