CHINGUDI MASALA (Oriya Shrimp Curry)
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced serrano
- 6 tomatoes, diced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp masala mix (see below)
- 1 lb shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- *MASALA MIX*
- Lightly toast and grind:
- 2 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 5 ea green cardamom
- 2 ea cinnamon
- 5 ea red chili
- In a large saucepan, heat oil till shimmering.
- Stir in onions with a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Stir in ginger, garlic and minced chili and cook until cooked through and raw smell disappears.
- Add in tomatoes, turmeric and chili powder.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until tomatoes are completely broken down and oil is released.
- Stir in Masala Mix.
- Heat through until fragrant.
- Stir in shrimp and cook over medium heat until cooked through and pink.
- Finish with cilantro.