Chef Marco Zapien offers up his family favorite Chile Rellanos recipe.
4 Pasilla peppers16 oz Queso Ranchero – cut into strips4 Eggs – separated1 t Kosher salt1/2 t Cream of tartar1/2 C Flour2 C Vegetable oil
- Roast the Pasilla peppers on the stove top, on the grill, or in a hot sauté pan until the skin
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap for approximately 5 minutes to allow skin to separate from flesh.
- Remove plastic wrap and peel the skin from the chiles.
- Cut a slit in the upper portion of the chile and stuff with 3 oz of cheese for each chile.
- Reserve remaining cheese for the garnish.
- In a mixer with whisk attachment, whip the egg yolks until frothy.
- Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Clean mixing bowl and add egg whites.
- Whisk to soft peaks and add kosher salt and cream of tartar.
- Continue to whisk until stiff peaks are reached.
- Fold the egg yolks into the egg whites.
- Heat vegetable oil in a sauce pot or cast iron skillet.
- Dredge chilies in flour. Dip into the egg mixture and coat the entire chile.
- Place the chile in the oil and cook until golden brown, flip the chile over and continue to cook until golden brown.
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Plate and top with Salsa Ranchera.
- Garnish with remaining Queso Rancheros crumbled over the top.