Contributed by: Chef Chuck Abair
At CAFE del REY, Executive Chef Chuck Abair takes an the unconventional approach to the staple pantry item by creating a Chickpea Cake.
7 cups Chickpea Flour8 cups Vegetable Stock2 TBSP Onion Powder2 TBSP Garlic Powder 21 TBSP Ground Ginger2 TBSP Five Spice3 TBSP Ground Tumeric1 TBSP Ground Coriander1 tsp Salt
- Bring vegetable stock, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger, five spice, turmeric, and coriander to a boil.
- Add chick pea flour to boiling liquid and take off the heat.
- Purée mixture with a hand blender until smooth.
- Add water if mixture gets too thick.
- Pour mixture on to a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Let mixture cool then cut into small rectangles or fries.
- Add a small amount of olive oil to a pan to coat the surface.
- Bring the pan to medium-high heat and cook both sides of the chickpea cake until golden brown.