Contributed by: Chef Zach J. Geerson, Citizen Kitchen at Hotel Fullerton - Fullerton, Journeyman's Food & Drink - Fullerton
Executive Chef of Citizen Kitchen and Journeyman’s (opening Summer 2017) at The Hotel Fullerton, Chef Zach Geerson amps up your traditional mac n cheese with a touch of high class ingredients.
Chef Zach Geerson’s Mac n Cheese
High class mac n cheese from scratch
- Sauce (this recipe makes extra)
- 1 qt Whole milk
- 1 qt Heavy cream
- 1/2 C Shallots – sliced
- 1 oz Garlic – minced
- 1 qt Parmesan cheese – freshly grated
- 2 C Cheddar cheese – grated
- 2 C Swiss Cheese – grated
- 2.5 oz Fresh goat cheese
- 2 T Smoked paprika
- 1 C Wondra
- Duck fat bread crumbs
- Freshly sliced scallions
- Sweat the garlic and shallots gently over medium-low heat in a pot large enough to hold the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the milk and cream to the pot and bring it up to a boil.
- Add the cheeses and paprika to the cream mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Sprinkle the Wondra into the cheese sauce and bring to a boil until thickened.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and set aside until you are ready to use or add your favorite cooked pasta to the sauce and serve right away.