Executive Chef of Citizen Kitchen and Journeyman’s (opening Summer 2017) at The Hotel Fullerton, Chef Zach Geerson amps up your traditional mac n cheese with a touch of high class ingredients.
Chef Zach Geerson’s Mac n Cheese
High class mac n cheese from scratch
Sauce (this recipe makes extra)1 qt Whole milk1 qt Heavy cream1/2 C Shallots – sliced1 oz Garlic – minced1 qt Parmesan cheese – freshly grated2 C Cheddar cheese – grated2 C Swiss Cheese – grated2.5 oz Fresh goat cheese2 T Smoked paprika1 C WondraGarnishDuck fat bread crumbsFreshly sliced scallions
- Sweat the garlic and shallots gently over medium-low heat in a pot large enough to hold the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the milk and cream to the pot and bring it up to a boil.
- Add the cheeses and paprika to the cream mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Sprinkle the Wondra into the cheese sauce and bring to a boil until thickened.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and set aside until you are ready to use or add your favorite cooked pasta to the sauce and serve right away.