Charred Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cheese
Fun entree made with a Bernzomatic torch
- 1/2 cup bacon, cut into wide strips
- 4 cup brussels sprouts, trimmed and split
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced into rings
- ½ tsp. thyme, picked and chopped
- 1 cup gruyere or white cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Bernzomatic torch
- Slowly render bacon in a large saute pan over medium heat, until just getting crispy, remove from heat.
- Blanch the Brussels sprouts in salted, boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Shock in a bowl of ice water; when cool, remove and dry on paper towels.
- Place Brussels sprouts on a large uncoated cookie sheet and using a Bernzomatic torch, toast and char all over, reserve.
- Place bacon pan back on medium heat, add Brussels sprouts and shallot rings, cook for 4-5 minutes to soften shallots and combine.
- Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Spoon into a heat proof serving dish, then top with grated cheese.
- Toast and melt cheese with Bernzomatic torch until golden brown.