Channa Masala (Chickpeas)
This dish of chickpeas in a spicy coating can also be found under the name Chole Masala.They are usually served with a puffy fried flat bread called a bhatura, but they also work very well just with a bowl of buttered boiled rice.
2 Cans Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)1 Red Onion (sliced thinly)1 Inch Fresh Ginger (pureed)3 Cloves Garlic (pureed)3 Serrano Green Chili (deseeded and pureed)1 Tsp Ground Cumin1 Tsp Ground Corriander1 Tsp Turmeric1 Tsp Red Chili Powder1 Tsp Salt1 Tsp Sugar3 Large Tomatoes (deseeded and finely chopped)1 Cup Water or Vegetable Stock½ Lemon (Juice)½ Cup Cilantro Leaf (finely chopped)Vegetable oil for cooking
- Bring the vegetable oil to heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute
- 1. Add the serrano chili and cook for 1 minute.
- 2.Add the dry spices, salt and sugar and combine well. If the spices begin to stick, add a tablespoon of water.
- 3. Add the chopped tomatoes. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes have broken down.
- 4. Add the vegetable stock and simmer 8-10 minutes until the sauce reduces to a thick consistency.
- 5. Add the chickpeas and the chopped cilantro leaf (reserving some for garnish)
- 6. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- 7. Add the lemon juice and serve garnished with the remaining cilantro leaf.