Contributed by: Celebrity Judge Simon Majumdar
Channa Masala (Chickpeas)
This dish of chickpeas in a spicy coating can also be found under the name Chole Masala.They are usually served with a puffy fried flat bread called a bhatura, but they also work very well just with a bowl of buttered boiled rice.
- 2 Cans Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 Red Onion (sliced thinly)
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger (pureed)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (pureed)
- 3 Serrano Green Chili (deseeded and pureed)
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Ground Corriander
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 3 Large Tomatoes (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 1 Cup Water or Vegetable Stock
- ½ Lemon (Juice)
- ½ Cup Cilantro Leaf (finely chopped)
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Bring the vegetable oil to heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute
- 1. Add the serrano chili and cook for 1 minute.
- 2.Add the dry spices, salt and sugar and combine well. If the spices begin to stick, add a tablespoon of water.
- 3. Add the chopped tomatoes. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes have broken down.
- 4. Add the vegetable stock and simmer 8-10 minutes until the sauce reduces to a thick consistency.
- 5. Add the chickpeas and the chopped cilantro leaf (reserving some for garnish)
- 6. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- 7. Add the lemon juice and serve garnished with the remaining cilantro leaf.