Courtesy ofCelebrity Chefs and stars of the Cooking Channel’s Extra Virgin, Debi Mazar & Gabriele Corcos
Cavolo Nero, Beets and Fennel with Creamy Tofu Dressing kicks a traditional salad up a notch with roasted beets, fennel, kale, and a simple, yet satisfying, dressing that combines House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Soft with anchovies, lemon and garlic.
Cavolo Nero, Beets and Fennel with Creamy Tofu Dressing
Cavolo Nero, Beets and Fennel with Creamy Tofu Dressing kicks a traditional salad up a notch with healthy elements and a simple, yet satisfying, dressing.
3/4 pound red beets (3 medium sized), scrubbed1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, and cut into 1 inch chunks1 medium onion, roughly chopped2 Tbsp olive oilKosher salt and freshly ground black pepper1 large bunch cavolo nero (Tuscan kale), washed, tough stems removed, roughly chopped into 1 inch pieces1/3 cup smoked almonds, choppedShaved Parmesan (optional)– Dressing –1/3 of a 14 oz. package House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Soft3 anchovies (packed in oil)Juice of 1 lemon1 clove garlic, peeled2 tsp extra virgin olive oilKosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap each beet in foil and place on sheet tray and roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss fennel and onion in a small bowl with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add to the sheet tray with the beets after they have roasted for 25 minutes.
- Continue roasting fennel and beets for 30 minutes more.
- Then open up the foil packets to let beets cool, rub off the skins of the beets using a paper towel and chop into bite size pieces.
- Add the tofu, anchovies, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine the kale and roasted beets, fennel, and onion to a large bowl and drizzle with the dressing.
- Toss to thoroughly coat.
- Garnish with smoked almonds and shaved Parmesan.