The holidays are a time to embrace traditions, and the best place to make memories is over a meal. For those seeking an alternative (or addition!) to traditional pies and pastries to dazzle their dessert table this year, Pastry Chef Evan Sheridan of Herons, the Forbes Five Star, AAA Five Diamond restaurant at The Umstead Hotel and Spain Cary, N.C., shares his own family recipe for a Caramel Apple Crumb Cake.Featuring sweet seasonal flavors, this family-favorite is one worth saving room for.
Caramel Apple Crumb Cake
Caramel Apple Crumb Cake is the perfect dessert to any holiday meal.
Crumb· 5 ounces All Purpose Flour· 3 ounces Light Brown Sugar· 4 ounces Melted Butter· Pinch Kosher Salt· ¼ teaspoon Vanilla ExtractCake· 9 ounces Sugar· 5 ounces Vegetable Oil· 1teaspoon Vanilla Extract· 2 large Eggs· 9 ounces Grated Apple (Do not worry about peeling them)· 2 ounces Pecan Pieces (Roasted)· 9 ½ ounces All Purpose Flour· ½ teaspoon Salt· 1 teaspoon Baking Soda· 1 teaspoon Cinnamon· ¾ ounces Dried Currants
- For the Crumb
- · Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl or stand mixer.
- · Slowly add in melted butter and mix either by hand or at a low speed until it forms the shape of “pea gravel.”
- · Spread out on a sheet pan and refrigerate.
- For the Cake
- · Paddle the whole eggs with the sugar at a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- · Slowly add in oil being sure not to break the “emulsion.”
- · Alternate additions of whole milk and sifted dry ingredients.
- · Add in Grated Apples with Currants and Pecans and mix until combined.
- · Allow batter to rest 8-12 hours for best results.
- To Finish
- · Pour batter into a well-oiled/sprayed baking pan.
- · Sprinkle Crumb over the top of the cake and bake at 350 F for 20-40 minutes or until the cake is set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.