Here is a super quick and easy summer recipe utilizing the season’s bounty of tomatoes. Be sure not to overcook the squid or your salad will be tough.
Calamari Salad With Heirlooms and Mint
Calamari Salad With Heirlooms And Mint taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
- 4 Medium squid, cleaned and scored, tentacles cut into ¼
- 1 Assorted heirloom tomatoes of different shapes, colors and sizes
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1 Branch thyme
- 1 Pinch chili flake
- 4 oz Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Limes
- 1 Small bunch mint Sriracha to taste
- 1 Pinch of sugar
- ½ C White wine
- 2 Small shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 Head yellow frisee
- 2 Bunches arugula
- 2 oz. Cocktail peanuts
- Begin preparation of the dish by heating a large skillet.
- Pour 1 oz. Virgin olive oil into the pan and heat it to the smoking point.
- While the pan is heating, season the squid with salt and pepper, the chili flakes
- place the branch of thyme with the garlic on the squid.
- When the oil begins to smoke add the seasoned squid and stir with wooden spoon.
- When the squid is coated with the oil and it is beginning to turn color, add the wine.
- The wine will create a lot of steam and this will finish the cooking of the squid.
- Remove the squid to a perforated pan and place the squid in the fridge.
- Collect and save any of the juices to add to the dressing.
- While the squid is cooling, prepare a simple vinaigrette using the juice of both the limes and the zest of one lime, salt, pepper, sugar, sriracha and the remaining olive oil.
- Add a few torn mint leaves to the dressing to add flavor.
- Next core the tomatoes and cut them into smaller pieces being sure to highlight their unique colors and shapes.
- Lay the tomatoes out on a parchment covered cookie sheet in order to facilitate their seasoning.
- Season the tomatoes with salt (preferably maldon sea salt), and fresh milled white pepper.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with the chopped shallots.
- Chiffonade the mint and place it on the tomatoes as well.
- Next remove the squid from the fridge and add whatever juice you have collected to the vinaigrette.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with the vinaigrette. Divide the tomatoes among four chilled plates.
- Dress the squid in a bowl with a bit of the vinaigrette and some of the mint.
- Place the squid on top of the tomatoes.
- Dress the arugula and the frisee with a bit of the vinaigrette and divide the greens among the four plates.
- Shave a few of the peanuts over the salad using a micro plane and sprinkle the rest over the salads.