Contributed by: Chef Andrew Copley
Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese taste great. Chef Copley’s addition of diced caramelized butternut squash to an American classic makes this recipe perfect
- Cheese sauce
- 5 T butter
- 5 T all purpose flour
- 5-7 C milk
- 7 oz fresh butternut squash puree* or 7 oz canned pumpkin puree
- 4 T Dijon mustard
- 4 T roasted garlic puree
- 5 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- Tabasco, to taste
- Kosher salt and black pepper – to taste
- Caramelized butternut squash
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded – 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 T brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a medium saucepan over low heat melt the butter, whisk in the flour to make a paste and cook for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Add 3 cups of the milk and continuously stir, once the milk is absorbed add 2 more cups of milk and stir until it is lump free.
- Whisk in the butternut squash or pumpkin puree, mustard and garlic.
- Cook the mixture for 3 minutes on low heat continuously stirring; the mix should generously coat the back of a spoon (if the mixture seems to thick add a little more milk).
- Fold in the cheddar and Gruyere cheese; add the paprika, truffle oil, Tabasco and season to taste.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- To make squash puree, cut in half lengthwise, scrape out seeds and strings and roast in 350