Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese taste great. Chef Copley’s addition of diced caramelized butternut squash to an American classic makes this recipe perfect
Cheese sauce5 T butter5 T all purpose flour5-7 C milk7 oz fresh butternut squash puree* or 7 oz canned pumpkin puree4 T Dijon mustard4 T roasted garlic puree5 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated5 oz Gruyere cheese, grated1/2 teaspoon paprika1 teaspoon truffle oilTabasco, to tasteKosher salt and black pepper – to tasteCaramelized butternut squash4 T olive oil1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded – 1/2 inch dice1 cinnamon stick4 T brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a medium saucepan over low heat melt the butter, whisk in the flour to make a paste and cook for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Add 3 cups of the milk and continuously stir, once the milk is absorbed add 2 more cups of milk and stir until it is lump free.
- Whisk in the butternut squash or pumpkin puree, mustard and garlic.
- Cook the mixture for 3 minutes on low heat continuously stirring; the mix should generously coat the back of a spoon (if the mixture seems to thick add a little more milk).
- Fold in the cheddar and Gruyere cheese; add the paprika, truffle oil, Tabasco and season to taste.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- To make squash puree, cut in half lengthwise, scrape out seeds and strings and roast in 350