Braised Pork Shank
Braised Pork Shank tastes great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
Braised Pork Shank:4-6 Berkshire pork shanks3 Yellow onions (rough chop)3 Carrots (rough chop)6 Celery stalks (rough chop)1 Bottle of red wine1/2 Bottle of port16 oz Tomato juiceChicken stock (as needed)Sachet (thyme sprigs, peppercorn, parsley stem, bay leaves in cheese cloth)Dijon spaetzle:1 qt Water1 C ChivesI6 C AP flour1/4 t Salt1 T White pepper12 Eggs1 C Dijon mustardOlive tapenade:3 C Pitted cured black olives3 Anchovies1/4 C capers3 Garlic cloves1/2 T Ground black pepper1/4 C Extra virgin olive oil
- Braised Pork Shank:
- Begin by searing off all pork shanks in a large roasting pan to a deep brown color on all sides.
- Once browned, remove from pan and add all vegetables and caramelize them again to a deep brown.
- After vegetables have been caramelized, deglaze pan with wine, port, and tomato juice.
- Scrape off the fond on the bottom of pan and reduce by half.
- Put pork shanks back into pan and cover with chicken stock. Add sachet and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, take off stove, cover pan with a lid or foil and cook in the oven at 300 degrees for 4 hours or until tender.
- Carefully remove shanks from liquid, and reduce braising liquid until sauce consistency.
- Strain through a fine sieve and use on plate.
- Dijon spaetzle:
- Place a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- As you wait for pot to come to a boil, blend chives and 2 pints of water in a blender.
- Pass through a fine sieve, and reserve. In a large bowl add flour, salt, white pepper and mix with a whisk to combine.
- Crack eggs on top of flour; add water/chive mixture and Dijon to bowl. With your hands, break yolks and use fingers to blend. The mixture should resemble pancake batter and should have a green hue. Let rest for 10 min.
- Place a perforated pan over boiling water, turn heat on low. Have an ice bath ready nearby and begin to spread batter through holes 2 cups at a time.
- Stir with a slotted spoon until the droplets float to the surface and boil for one minute.
- Skim dumplings out of water and place in ice bath. Repeat until all batter is used.
- Dump ice bath into a colander and wash spaetzle to remove extra starch. Let sit for 5 min. to drain; toss lightly with grape seed oil.
- Saute in butter until golden brown and serve under braised pork shank.
- Olive tapenade:
- Add all ingredients except for oil into a food processor. Begin blending and slowly drizzle olive oil until consistency is that of a spread.
- Use as a garnish on the braised pork shank.
- Top with micro dijon greens.