Bombay-Style Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Here’s a recipe to help you make delicious, Indian-influenced Thanksgiving sides at home!
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp black or brown mustard seeds
- 8- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 2 ea dried red chilis
- 1 cup grated coconut – unsweetened
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with 2T olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out on a large tray in a single layer and roast in oven for about 10-12 minutes, stirring after every 5 minutes, until crispy and caramelized. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 4T olive oil till shimmering over medium heat. Quickly stir in mustard seeds, curry leaves and dried red chili. (Note: be careful as the mustard seeds and curry leaves will splatter). Add in sliced onion and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and continue to cook over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, continue to cook until deep brown and caramelized. (Note: be patient when caramelizing onions, and deglaze the pan with water when necessary throughout the process).
- Add in the grated coconut and mix thoroughly.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Stir in roasted Brussel sprouts and serve warm.