Beef & Bean Chili
Simple and comforting beef and beans slow simmered in diced tomatoes, chili powder, and other spices. Grab a bowl and add some chips and guacamole.
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil2 pounds ground beef1 onions (diced)1 red pepper (large, diced)2 tablespoons garlic (minced)56 ounces diced tomatoes (with juices)30 ounces kidney beans (with juices)3 tablespoons chili powder1 teaspoon dried oregano1 teaspoon ground cumin1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper1 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon black pepper1 cup cheddar cheese (grated – optional as garnish)1 cup sour cream (– optional as garnish)
- 1. Bring a large “heavy bottomed” pot to medium high heat and enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add beef and onions. Cook uncovered ~ 7 minutes, stirring, or until meat is nearly done. Add the garlic and peppers and cook ~ 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese and sour cream.
- 2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered ~ 30 minutes. Add more chili powder and salt to taste and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- 3. Serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream. Happy Eating!
- Add water at 1/2 cup increments if the chili begins to dry out.
- If you think the chili is too “soupy”, remember that it will thicken as it cools.