American Dream Cupcakes
Fresh California Avocado replaces the butter or oil in a traditional cupcake recipe and creates a delicious, light green cupcake. Topped with a simple cream
- ½ cup pureed California Avocado
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- Patriotic cake decorations
- For the Frosting: 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp. low-fat milk, or more as needed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin tins with foil or non-stick cups.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, combine avocado puree and sugar.
- Beat until very smooth and even in color.
- Add eggs. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Gradually blend in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk and vanilla into the batter, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
- Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into one of the center cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in the cupcakes tins for 5 minutes, then remove to a rack and cool to room temperature.
- Frost with Easy Cream Cheese Frosting and decorate with patriotic cake decorations.
- To Make the Easy Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat softened cream cheese in a medium mixer bowl until light and creamy. There should be no lumps.
- Beat in milk and then about ¾ of the powdered sugar.
- Taste and add more powdered sugar and/or milk depending on your preference for sweetness and spreadability.