The year was 1958: There were 3 major television stations on the air, a gallon of gas cost a whopping 24 cents, the hula hoop had just been invented, and in Toluca Lake, California, Al and Jerry Lapin opened the very first International House of Pancakes, complete with iconic blue roof. They had one goal in mind that warm day in July: to provide every guest who walked in the door with the very best in food and service.
56 years later, there are now 1,627 IHOP restaurants in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as Canada, Guatemala, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the Philippines, the U.S. Virgin Islands and soon, Guam. And every one of those restaurants still shares that same goal: providing the very best in food and service to every guest, every time.
In celebration of 56 years of great food, service, and “everything you love about breakfast,” onTuesday July 8th, 2014, from7AM to 7 PM, participating IHOP restaurants around the country will be offering guests a short stack of their world famous buttermilk pancakes-still the most popular item on the menu after 56 years– for just 56 cents -less than their original cost of 60 cents when the first IHOP restaurant opened its doors in 1958!
“The 56thAnniversary Celebration is about more than just an incredible milestone in our history,” said Julia Stewart, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of DineEquity Inc., and Interim President, International House of Pancakes, LLC. “It is also a chance to celebrate-and thank- our wonderful guests who have made our brand part of their lives all these years. That’s why we are highlighting our world famous buttermilk pancakes. Along with our excellent service and friendly staff, they are an IHOP staple that has kept everyone happily coming back for more than five decades.”
Guests who have dined at IHOP restaurants since they were children are now bringing in their own families, creating new memories, and enjoying the brand’s legendary service, friendly atmosphere, and delicious dishes. In addition to the buttermilk pancakes and eggs prepared any way a guest may request, other favorites include French toast, waffles, omelettes, and freshly-brewed coffee.
Some fun facts about America’s favorite breakfast place through the years:
- The acronym “IHOP” was introduced 15 years after the first restaurant opened
- The first IHOP outside of the United States opened in 1969 in Canada, making it truly an “international” house of pancakes.
- Both the famous buttermilk pancakes and tasty chocolate chip pancakes have been on IHOP’s menu since it was created 56 years ago.
- IHOP serves more than 700 million pancakes each year
- More than 100 million cups of coffee are served at IHOP locations every year
- For its 56thbirthday, IHOP is featuring three refreshing summer variations on its classic buttermilk pancakes: Raspberry Peach Pancakes, Blueberry Cannoli Pancakes, and Strawberry Banana Cream Pie Pancakes. These fun, indulgent twists are just the latest in a long line of specialty pancakes featured over the years, such as:
oPineapple Upside Down pancakes
oCarrot Cake pancakes
oNew York Cheesecake pancakes
oPumpkin Praline pancakes
oRed Velvet pancakes
oBanana Graham Pancakes
- Through it all, the best-selling IHOP menu item is still the classic buttermilk pancakes.